Historical and Cultural Exploration
A wasteland that used to be an air base has been turned into Yeouido, a state-of-the-art international financial city, the iron foundry street of Mullae-dong has transformed into Mullae Arts Village, and on the site of a textile mill, a super-scale multiplex shopping mall has been built. Take an interesting time travel to experience and enjoy the history and culture of Yeongdeungpo-gu.
- “Shopping” at Times Square (Meet the popular characters like Ryan and Apeach at KAKAO FRIENDS Store in the Atrium on the 1st floor)
- “Tour of Mural Alley & cafes“ at Mullae Arts Village
- “Dinner cruise” on the Hangang River
- “63 Sky Art” at 63 Square
Former Kyung Sung Textile Co., Ltd. Office at Times Square, Yeongdeungpo-gu
The former building of Kyung Sung Textile Co., Ltd. (Registered Cultural Property No. 135), which was built in 1936, is well preserved in its original state. It has been designated as Korea’s modern cultural heritage. This building has transformed into a bakery cafe serving fragrant specialty coffee. It also exhibits the artworks of Korea’s rising artists.
- Times Square, 15, Yeongjung-ro, Yeongdeungpo-gu, Seoul
- Maybell Bakery (Times Square) 10:30 - 22:00
Mullae Arts Village
The old iron foundry street in Mullae-dong, which prospered in the 1970s, was recreated into a new cultural street as local artists settled down in the area. Get a map at Mullae Campus and use it to enjoy a tour of unique workshops and cafes. Try taking photos against murals and sculptures located along the street.
- 12, Dangsan-ro 4-gil, Yeongdeungpo-gu, Seoul
- 5-minute walk from Mullae Station Exit 7, Subway Line 2
- Mullae Campus (Information Center, Exhibition Hall, Art Shop)/14:00 - 19:00 (closed on the second and fourth Mondays)
This cultural space for exhibition was created by remodeling a secret bunker under Yeouido Transfer Center. With its historical significance recognized, SeMA Bunker was designated as the Future Heritage of Seoul. This space is used to hold experimental exhibitions, such as of photos, video art and installation art. In the History Gallery, spectators can have a glimpse into the “SeMA Bunker Archive Project.”
- Basement of 2-11, Yeouido-dong, Yeongdeungpo-gu, Seoul
- 10-minute walk from Yeouido Station Exit 3, Subway Lines 5 and 9
- http://sema.seoul.go.kr(English, Chinese, Japanese)
- 10:00 - 17:30 on Tue. - Sun.
- Free admission
A walk through The History of Yeouido Airport
Yeouido Airport, which used to be located in the site of Yeouido Hangang Park, is Korea’s first airport. This airport was in operation from 1916 to 1958. "A walk through The History of Yeouido Airport" was established to commemorate the historical significance of this airport. A nameplate and photos of Aviator An Changnam, Korea’s first pilot, and a sculpture of the plane Geumgangho are on display.
Next to "Bitui Cafe", 84, Yeouido-dong, Yeongdeungpo-gu, Seoul
Bugundang Shrines were placed near local government offices in the Joseon dynasty. It still remains as small shrines for patron saints in a number of villages around the Hangang River. In Yeongdeungpo-gu, there are four Bugundang Shrines: Dangsan-dong Bugundang, Banghakgot Bugundang, Sangsanjeon and Dodang.
- [Dangsan-dong Bugundang] 32, Dangsan-ro 54-gil, Yeongdeungpo-gu, Seoul
- [Banghakgotji Bugundang] 2-13, Yeongdeungpo-ro 62ra-gil, Yeongdeungpo-gu, Seoul
- [Sangsanjeon] 10, Gukhoe-daero 54-gil, Yeongdeungpo-gu, Seoul
- [Dodang] 22, Gamasan-ro 65-gil, Yeongdeungpo-gu, Seoul
“Shopping” at Times Square (Meet the popular characters like Ryan and Apeach at KAKAO FRIENDS Store in the Atrium on the 1st floor) → “Tour of Mural Alley & cafes“ at Mullae Arts Village → “Dinner cruise” on the Hangang River → “63 Sky Art” at 63 Square