Folk Culture Heritage
- About Us
- Folk Culture Heritage
Folk Culture Heritage
Kyungsung Textile Co. Office Building
- Location : 441-10 Yeongdeungpo-dong 4-ga, Yeongdeungpo-gu, Seoul.
Overview : A building built in 1936 to be used as the office of Kyungsung Textile Co. It was designated as Registered Cultural Heritage in Seoul (No. 135) on December 31, 2004. Kyungsung Textile manufactures cotton yarn and cotton fabrics, which was established by investment of the Korean government in 1919 during the Japanese occupation period and has been renamed Kyungbang in 1970. The company is an indispensable industry when it comes to the history of Korean modern industries. The building still retains most of its original state, which has a significant meaning to the construction history as well as historical and social value.
Spirit of Police Officer
- Location : 2-11 Dangsan-dong 3-ga, Yeongdeungpo-gu, Seoul inside the Yeongdeungpo Police Station.
Overview : A monument constructed on June 23, 2006 to cherish and promulgate the noble spirits and achievements of soldiers and police officers of Yeongdeungpo Police Station who sacrificed their lives before and after the Korean War. The monument is located inside the Yeongdeungpo Police Station.
Ghost Rock and Zelkova
- Location : 4901-1 Singil 1-dong, Yeongdeungpo-gu, Seoul.
Overview : It is called Ghost Rock because people lured there once by the scenery had fallend into the deep river and drowned. The river water used to flow down a large rock around the Yeouido Saetgang riverbank at the roadside of Olympic Road. Beside the rock, there is a large Zelkova tree as old as 200 years. According to legend, a queen was passing by there in 1790 during King Jeong-jo's reign, stopped to take a rest and was enchanted by beautiful surrounding landscape. The tree was planted to commemorate the queen's visit. Since then, village people have performed annual ancestral rites in order to prevent disaster and pray for fortune. This location is difficult to access on foot because the tree is situated between the Olympic Road and Nodeul-gil. You can see the tree from across the Saetgang (river) Bridge.
- Location : 110-71 Dangsan-dong 6-ga, Yeongdeungpo-gu, Seoul.
Overview : There used to be a jar containing the tutelary spirit of a house site around the large ginkgo tree (on the right, 30m from the current location). During the early Joseon Dynasty, Dang ritual was performed at this place and a shamanism temple was built to protect 28 households as village people then have evacuated to this location and saved their lives during the great flood in 1925. The memorial stone at Bugundang specifies that it was constructed on April 8, 1450, and the current memorial stone records that the construction was on April 15, 1974. The shrine suggests ethnic values as it houses the Bugun spirit in the center, and eight sprits on the left and right, including Gunwoong, Chilsung, Jaeyeok, Mansin, Janggun, Daegam, Dodang, Grandfather, and Grandmother.
Dangsan Ginkgo Tree
- Location: Dangsan-dong 6-ga, Yeongdeungpo-gu, Seoul.
Overview: The ginkgo tree was planted to commemorate a king's visit in the early part of the Joseon Dynasty. Since then, the tree is considered the village guardian deity where the villagers performed memorial service. The villagers sought shelter under the tree and saved their lives when the whole area was flooded in the great flood in 1925. The ritual service has begun since then.
- Location: 285-2 Singil-dong, Yeongdeungpo-gu.
Overview: In the past, there used to be a cross-shape river in Singil-ri in the village where many fishing boats went by way of Incheon, Gimpo, and Han River through the river. An old oriental oak on the dockside hill became a shrine to the village deity to pray for safe and good catch for fishing boats.
According to oral tradition, people built Dodang and enshrined mountain spirits from about 380 years ago.
Sanghangmun records that the current Dodang was built in 1949. The Sherman house is built with Korean roof tiles and inside, there are altar portrait of Buddha as well as altar made of table and ritual utensils under the altar portrait. On the ceiling to the right is written: Enjoy five blessings in response to three kids of lights in the sky. The house enshrines two portraits of human status – Dodang Grandfather and Grandmother. The portrait was repainted as it was stolen many years. Ritual service is performed on October 3, every year.
- Location: 184 Yangpyeong-dong 4-ga, Yeongdeungpo-gu.
Overview: Horace Underwood, the first Methodist missionary to Korea built Yeongdeungpo Presbyterian Church, the first church in Yeongdeungpo, in 1903, the 18th year anniversary of his arrival in Korea. As the church expanded congregation, Pastor Kim Jun-ki, along with Korean church members, built Yangpyeong-dong Church in 1907. The rare Zelkova Dunggeunip that grows in the tropics was planted to celebrate the establishment of the new church. The tree, approximately 90 years old, has been designated as a protective tree and is protected by the Seoul Metropolitan Government.
Anti-communist Memorial Tower
- Location: 20-4 Singil-dong, Yeongdeungpo-gu, Seoul.
Overview: The tower is located at the Nodeul-gil, passing Yeouido Saetgang adjoining Singil Station. It was established by Yeongdeungpo-gu Veteran's Association on June 25, 1978 to commemorate 134 patriotic youth who scarified for democracy and freedom since the Korean independence and until the Korea War. The center of the tower has inscriptions that read, "My Life to the Eternal Homeland" and also a dedicated poem by No Sahn Poem Lee Eun-sang. The memorial service is held on June 25 every year.
- Location: 36-4 Sin-gil 2-dong, Yeongdeungpo-gu.
Outline: It is also dubbed Banghak-dong because cranes frequently visit the white sand and a thickly-wooded hill with pine trees as rattan trees provide excellent scenery. Another name for this shrine is gristmill, a location that ground grain and delivered to the castle. The shrine was built about 300 years ago but most of it was damaged during the Korean War and repaired by the residents.
According to oral tradition, Yoon Jung-seung was drowned in flood and lost his conscious. Fortunately, a carp showed up and gave him a ride on its back to the sandy field at the Banghakgotji shore; thus, he built the shrine and performed ritual services.
Old Grave Site of Sukjong Prince Yeongryonggun
- Location: 1444 Singil 7-dong, Yeongdeungpo-gu, Seoul.
Overview: Yeongryonggun was a son of king Sukjong of the Joseon Dynasty born in 1699 (the 25th year of the reign of King Sukjong). He held a director-general of Five Military Commands Headquarters, a honorary position, which was remained as a controlment of law books and pasted away when he was only 21 years of age in 1720 (the 46th year of the reign of King Sukjong) and buried at Beondang-ri, Geumcheon-hyun (currently, the campus of Daebang Elementary School in Yeongdeungpo-gu). The burial site was relocated to Deoksan-myeon, Yaesan-gun, Chungnam due to precinct reorganization in 1940, only remaining the stone stele; the stele was also relocated to Gongreung-dong, Nowon-gu (the Korea Military Academy) on August 3, 1967. Feeling sad to be apart from it, residents inscribed "The Grave of Prince Sukjong Yeongryong" on the wall of Daebang Elementary School.
Monument to commemorate Han River Defense Infantry Division
- Location: 153 Yanghwa-dong, Yeongdeungpo-gu, Seoul.
Overview: When North Korea invaded South Korea on June 25, 1950, No. 18 Infantry Regiment stationed in Samgakji, Seoul took part in the war, the 3rd squadron (Commander Kim Sang-deok) was defending the regimental headquarters. When the enemy attacked Seoul on June 28, the 3rd squadron hastily installed a camp in Samgakji and underwent combat in cities but was pushed back to Yeongdeungpo through Mapo by an overwhelming number of enemies; it built a camp at the bank of Han River and fought against the enemies that attempted to attack government buildings.
Far East Commander McArthur who visited Korea to examine the defense status of Koran forces and terrain of Han River pledged America's support; the squadron with boosted morale defended Yeongdeungpo on its own for seven days, which was a significant contribution in reinforcing the American ground forces and delaying ally force's action. The record monument was constructed on October 1, 2003, half a century later to commemorate fighting spirits of those soldiers who fought fiercely with inferior troops and equipment.
Yeongdeungpo-gu Office Information