Most areas form low and flat regions, as they are the areas that join the Han
River and Anyang-cheon,
Anyang-cheon, Dorim-cheon, and Daebang-cheon.
The biggest hub-city of the southwest Metropolitan area
Multi-functional area combining politics, finance, media and business.
Transportation hub, connecting urban and outer metropolitan
The fountainhead of business development covering Seoul-Incheon
The Yeongdeungpo-gu region today used to belong to Habuk-myeon, Sieunghyeon, Gyeonggi-do (Yeongdeungpo-dong, Singil-dong), Sangbuk-myeon (Dangsan-dong, Dolim-dong, Munrae-dong, Yangpyeong-dong, and Daelim-dong), Namsan-myeon (Yanghwa-dong) during the Joseon Dynasty. However, Yeoui-dong used to be affiliated to Yeonhuibang of Hanseongbu (present-day Seoul), and functioned as a horse ranch.
In the latter era of the Joseon Dynasty, the construction of railroad between Seoul-Busan and Korea forcibly occupied by Japan (1910), [location of do and jurisdiction] had to newly enact. As the county of Siheung-gune, Gyeonggi-do had to be relocated to Habuk-myeon, Yeongdeungpo-ri at this time, Yeongdeungpo, then a poor village advanced remarkably as a pivot center of transportation and commercial. The city (ri) was promoted to myeon in 1920 and obtained competence over Yeongdeungpo-ri, Dangsan-ri, as well as yangpyeong-ri.
On April 1936, the Japanese government largely expanded the district of Kyungsungbu, installing three offices in the eastern and western part, including Yeongdeungpo. At this time, the present Yeongdeungpo area has been reorganized to a local branch office in Yeongdeungpo, Kyungsungbu, yeongdeungpojeong, Yeouidojeong, Dangsanjeong, Dolimjeong, Yangpyeongjeong, Yanghwajeong, and Silgiljeong. However, Dalimjeong belongs to Dong-myeon, Sihung-guen, Gyeonggi-do
On June 10, 1943, the name of office was changed to Yeongdeunpo district office, and on the occasion of the liberation in 1945, it became Yeongdeungpo-gu, Seoul to be governed by mayor. In 1946, the dong name [jung] in Japanese had been changed to [dong] in Korean language.
After that, the gu has advanced rapidly through industrialization, dividing Gwanak-gu on July 1, 1973, Gangseo-gu on September 1, 1977, and Guro-gu on April 4, 1980. Now the gu is encompassed by newly divided gu, not as boundary with Gyeonggi-do region.
Yeongdeungpo-gu faces Mapo-gu in the boundaries of the Han River northwards, and is located where Mt. Gwanak southwards, including Mt. Hoam, and mountain peaks of Mt. Doksan yeonbong can be seen from a distance.
Yeouido is a sandy field, not worth of using, and has been used as a flying field for an army base for ages. However, as the Yeouido development project launched in 1970, Yeouido has transformed to a new city. It has transformed to a pivot center of finance and is dubbed as the Manhattan of Seoul as 63 Building, LG Building, The Federation of Korean Industries Hall, The Korea Stock Exchange, and security companies have established their businesses, including the National Assembly Building, KBS, Dong-A Daily News Paper and Telephone Company.
Among others, with the completion of Han River Comprehensive Development Project on September 1986, Sports Park, fishing areas, ferries, and Yeouido Park are constructed with Yeouido area as the center, and it plays a meaningful role as resting areas for citizens.